Electronic National Identity card
Electronic identity – a collection of data that connects the person with his/her physical identity in an electronic environment. In Moldova, there is a new type of national identity card which contains an electronic chip. This electronic chip contains personal data, as well as the security elements - a key pair, allowing users:
- to sign digital documents using MSign;
- to authenticate and access multiple electronic services in a secure way via MPass
Electronic identity operates on the basis of a public key infrastructure (PKI). The PKI model is based on two keys – a secret key and a public key. As is evident from the names of the keys, the secret key must be protected and can only be used by the person to whom it has been issued. The public key, on the other hand, is available to everyone and there is a specific link between the two keys.
The electronic identity card holders have access to public service on the basis of electronic signature.
- Access to the personal data from the State Register of Population, State Register of Vehicles;
- Order of civil status certificates’ duplicates;
- Submission of tax declarations, as well as the verification of tax liabilities;
- Reporting concerning state mandatory medical and social insurance contributions;
- Data from Register of Real Estate;
- Submission of licensing applications of different activity types.
Implementation of the electronic identity card represents an alignment to the European standards on technologizing the society and it allows the identification and authentication of the holder in the informational resources and systems, also by using the digital signature when performing the electronic services.
How to obtain an electronic identity card
The price of this document produced during 30 days is 700 lei. The electronic ID is issued upon request by Public Services Agency (ASP - http://www.asp.gov.md), and the regular (non-electronic) identity document still remains valid.
A digital certificate is an electronic document issued by Public Services Agency. It contains the public key for a digital signature and specifies the identity associated with the key. The digital certificates are only valid for a specified time – currently, it is 1 (one) year – and can be renewed by submitting a request to the Public Services Agency.